Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Year's Eve in Johns Creek


My New Year's Eve was with Platinum, a quintet version of the larger ensemble.  Back where we were one year ago, at Atlanta Athletic Club.  It was quite similar to last year.  An older crowd, for sure.  My playlist on my iPod was unwittingly tailor-made for the mature patrons.  They seemed to enjoy our soundcheck from earlier in the evening, as we ran down Last Dance, Call Me Maybe, and Firework.  As it goes, we didn't play those during the main sets.  Isn't that the typical situation?  I have Last Dance completely memorized, save for that pesky semi-early bridge where it goes to the | Cm  | Bb  | Ab  | Ab Bb  | vamp.  Got to be more careful there!  Dianna made me smile when she went into Love To Love You Baby during that part.  That was a nice mini-mash-up.



We did get to enjoy a hot meal of stuffed chicken, broccoli, potatoes, rolls, and a salad as well.  It made for a decent start to the evening.  We began our set after the customary firework display.  I didn't even go outside.  It was cold but not unbearable.  Then, after many second guesses, we started up with, drum roll please, Little Sunflower?  A wonderful standard, but not for this crowd.  Traditional post-bop with older folks, younger parents, and excitable children.  Not a great fit.  I think we went into Mr. Magic after that, which at least was funky.  Both were cut short.  Hey, one cool thing we broke out, and we should keep, was a decent James Brown segue: I Got You (I Feel Good) --> Sex Machine.  I know, probably his two biggest hits, so not so adventurous.  They worked well together and nice to play something besides the overdone first tune.  Thanks to G-Clef for the tightening up on the hits.  Glen later took us to Waffle House during the Isley Brothers' Shout!  As the evening wore on, especially after midnight, we ended up easing down to stuff like What A Wonderful World.  All in all, it was rather uneventful.  I was thinking to myself that the Underground Peach Drop scene was probably a quite different affair.  Done at 1 a.m., then home safe.  No problems there on a night that nobody particularly likes to drive.  A to-go box of wings was my tip.







No comments:

Post a Comment