Thursday, August 2, 2012

Caveat Emptor



The splendid TAAG quartet of Adrian, Jason, Guy, and myself were back at Java Monkey in Decatur for a fine summer evening highlighted by the wine tasting of various Chardonnays.  It was one night of music that I didn't hear a single bum note.  I never got lost in the heady excursions of some of the most challenging standards we've ever attempted.  My tone was immaculate, as I brought my upright and that can always be a bit of an ordeal.  For that matter, my intonation was spot on.  


Okay, I can't go on any further: we were rained out - the show was called after waiting over an hour.  It was a storm that gathered up and met over Church Street and chose to sit put until every raindrop had emptied from the pendulous clouds overhead.  Quite a fierce one, actually, with some severe thunder rumblings and the electricity momentarily cutting out several times.  The ubiquitous puddle of water where Guy would have been standing was certainly  the deal breaker for him.  Can't say I blame him.  I kept at them to play - silly me.  I started to ponder aloud that if I had gut strings on the upright, would that shield me from any possible electrical shock that might otherwise get me with the steel strings?  This is how I waited it out.  The staff at Java Monkey, in particular Garrett and Brannon, were gracious and took care of us as always.  I learned from Adrian that August 2nd was IPA, or India Pale Ale day - my favorite kind of beer, I suppose.  Java Monkey pours Stone IPA, a serious brew indeed.  Everything they serve is just top notch.  Thanks guys!  We owe them a significant night of music next time. - shall we say 2 weeks from yesterday?  Buyer beware!

Waiting in my car for the rain to stop...

No dice.

A dinner plate of "The Cranky" with a side of slaw (the best slaw dressing ever!)

Still going on

Time to head west towards home.



Eventually, we parted ways and on my way home I stopped into Steve's Live Music, where Randy Chapman was holding his own (and holding a semi-hollow Tele) with a stellar quartet in the newest music venue to pop up in Sandy Springs.  On the stage with him was Ron Roper on keyboards and vocals, Scott Glazer on Precision Bass, and Derryl Rivers on drums.  Ron and I go back a good long ways.  He is very kind in his praise of me.  We have seriously played hundreds of gigs together, long before I had the initiative to start this blog.  I miss hanging with him and Randy.  Hope to change that up down the road before we all get too darn old!  They sounded like they'd been playing for years.  Some nice Stevie Ray, Meters, and Allman Brothers before they had to call it a night.  Scott had a nice 'n tough solo with a righteous tube infused tone on the P-bass.  I really dug how he dug in hard.  That's how you play bass!  The venue is a nice light wood (ash, of all woods, comes to mind) and the stage is a good size.  The volume was truly kept in check.  I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the joint felt.  Hope to get in there one day with a decent band.










No comments:

Post a Comment