Saturday, August 18, 2012

Wines of Portugal

The Adrian Ash Group, with special guest Will Hollifield in lieu of saxophonist Jason Passmore, avoided any rain this past Thursday to play some neo-straight-ahead jazz and fonkalicious-fusion on the dry patio at Java Monkey.  The weather was good for us, unlike what erupted 2 weeks ago.  That said, my commute was a bit ugly.  The big news story unfolded right in my neck of the woods, or just as soon as I get clear from the woods.  It was fatal car crash involving 7 vehicles on 285 close to the Chattahoochee River.  This is close enough to 75 that it affected Binnie's commute home, which in turn delayed my start.  Stressful!  The soup had thinned out by the time I got on my way.




Will sounded great, as he always does.  He's fresh off some successful quartet gigs of his own, one being at a new venue in Alpharetta, The Velvet Note: Acoustic Living Room.  It appears to be a top notch jazz establishment in the 'burbs, and he sold it out!  Way to go Will!  By the way, back in my days of GSU I would try to hang with this cat Dave Worley.  He was, and certainly must still be, an incredible bassist, of the fire-breathing variety - i.e. he could nail Teen Town while scowling at you, as if to say "you got anything for me Hancotte?"  We were chasing Amy, as I recall, all in good fun as I was with someone else, and subsequently went our own ways.  Those were the days, weren't they?  Good to be able to look up an old crony and say "hey man, we're still at it and we haven't gone off the deep end just yet!"

Where was I?  Thursday we played through Beatrice, the Sam Rivers tune that I had been extolling the virtues of for this past week.  What a great song!  And yes, it's Binnie's birth name.  She had it until we got married, then took Sabina (her middle) as her first and her maiden Freeman as her middle.  Now, her sister Celia (formerly Becca) has daughter named Beatrice.  Funny and complicated, like any good family should be.  I hope he can play it again one day.  There really weren't too many other surprises: Back Track; Listen Now incorporating Freedom Jazz Dance;  Recorda Me...  Got to try to inject some new tunes into the tired playlist.  Can't risk getting stale, even if we're only doing this every other week.






No comments:

Post a Comment