Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Ides of March: A Double Dip for St. Paddy's & The Yaarab Shriners

The Shamrock Music Festival was held at the Masquerade Music Park on North Avenue.  The weather was good, warmer than we had expected.  Running With Desire opened up the day's lineup, which included other tribute acts Departure, The GA Blues Brothers, and The Jagged Stones.  We had 2 great sets, playing our U2 hits and then a whole lot of Van Halen from the Roth era.  James Terry, Marty Berning, Sam Owens, and myself.  The small but mighty crowd who was there really enjoyed it.  The venue needs a little bit more to make it a fun place to hang.  At least we had a trailer to change in, along with some refreshments.










I hung out and watched Departure until it was time to move down the road to the Yaarab Temple, where I played that evening with Platinum.  We were performing for a Chastain Night, with members bringing picnic baskets and libations, an evening under the stars indoors.  It was a great concept and these people went to great lengths to have a relaxing party.  We played a lot of older music, but they enjoyed just about everything we did.  When you play for clients like these, you can't argue with drinking women dancing on the stage.  Let them shake their groove thing and get out of the way!

The room is long and I set up both of my cabinets, as the subs Jason had wouldn't be able to handle the bass all that well.  I have been in this room many times, for work and performing as well.  Who was I with in the past?  I want to say it was Sweetwater Junction, but I'm not certain.  Somebody help me remember!

Steve was with us once again on guitar.  He sounded good and we reprised our rendition of Say by John Mayer with tandem interlocking guitars.  We all hung out after the gig and enjoyed a cold libation from our host.  The Shriners are great people who know how to take care of business and have fun.






No comments:

Post a Comment