Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Intensities In Tent Cities: Platinum Takes the Magnolia Ball to Kentucky in Carrollton


We have played here every year that I've been in the band.  And then some.  This time was a great one, with lots of party people and good weather.  As a special guest, we had Derek "D-String" McCoy on guitar, filling in for his former self.  It should be noted that he sounded good, really good.  The kid is super smooth.  It was seamless and easy.  He was sporting a beard, which gave him an aura of a distinguished gentleman.  We had the same sound crew from last year, with Gyro operating front of house.  It was a nice system with line arrays and some large stacks.  With this enormous tent, we needed some serious sound.

The theme this year for the big shindig was the Kentucky Derby.  I wonder why it isn't that every year, but they do a great job in mixing it up.  We were asked to play My Old Kentucky Home, which is the theme song of the derby.  We worked up a version by John Prine with 2 guitars.  I listened to it enough times that I learned the words and a harmony vocal.  As I just started singing into Glen's mic, they thought it was kind of funny.  I guess it was.  I'm not one to draw attention by asking about singing, I'll just do it, which draws attention anyways.  It sounded good to hear Derek play acoustic again.

My NS-WAV output jack came apart again.  Must keep an eye on that and remember that the plate doesn't need to come off to adjust the action.  I tweaked the action, which is the bridge height and messed it up a bit.  Got it back to normal, thankfully.  I used my NS Strap System so I could wear it, and with a big of awkward prep, I put my jacket on after the strap and the wireless unit, which conceals the strap and makes it a bit magical.  It was fun to get over next to Bethany near the end of the first set.  That was the thing this evening - we kept on going after the jazzy openers.  I ended up playing the whole set on the NS, including songs like Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe and September.  Gus gave me a look, but it actually worked out ok.

We ate well back in our usual tent.  I made my way to the deluxe porta-potties to wash up with soap.  It was a perfect spring evening, not the usual muggy or soggy night we typically get out here.  I even found the place without making a wrong turn this time.  Good gig.

Intensities In Tent Cities - yes, I thought it was worth using twice...

This shows the scope of the tent with a potion of the available tables in the foreground.

Beverley graces the shot.
Gyro and crew in high ambient light.
Chilling in the green tent with Derek and Anton.
The strap is under the tux jacket.
I was able to hang the NS WAV on the ultimate stand (safely).
Gus giving me that look.



No comments:

Post a Comment