Monday, February 17, 2014

Same Place Next Month: Back at the Cherokee Town Club ~ A Tribute to Derek McCoy

This was one of those classic hurry-up-and-wait scenarios.  It was a 5-piece version of Platinum with V fronting us.  One distinguishing note is that I set up without my pedalboard for the soundcheck.  It sounded great, playing my Stingray straight into the amp, which I guess I rarely do as it felt so unusual.  I ended up using the pedalboard after all, largely as Glen needed to run out to Guitar Center for a power supply for his keyboard and would have been able to use mine if I weren't using the board.  I figured I'd better have it in the chain to justify his trip.  Plugging straight in is fine.  It gives you that "it's all in the fingers" mindset that we all ultimately need to be in.  Even with effects, it's still all in the fingers.  I like to reiterate that I typically use compression and little else.  I love the compression for certain things, namely a level signal during the all-out funk-fests that the night brings on, harmonics that ring out loudly as the groove continues to bubble below, and tapping.  It's a peace of mind to know that my notes are almost always about the same level.  Granted, a great player uses dynamics in a very musical way.  I do as well, but they probably are compromised to an extent.  If I really need to get quiet, I have a volume pedal in line that can really be effective.  I can also lighten the touch and manage to get rather soft.  It's not like I've got the compressor set as a "brickwall limiter".  Other than that, I like an octave setting that is great for hip-hop and synth settings a la
Stevie Wonder.  Plus, it allows for a tuner to be always at the ready.  So what if it's a giant tone suck!  So I've heard.  To me, I don't hear that taking place.

So we ate our meal and waited upstairs for our time to play.  And we waited some more.  In the interim, I organized a rough draft of set lists for another band that I am playing with at the end of February.  I figured I could help with that and it kept me busy, doing the list via email on my phone.  It worked out, with some minor changes made later on.  Sometimes a key to getting through a long period of waiting is to have a book or a project to tackle.  Otherwise, boredom sets in and then one's energy is low.  There is nothing worse than waiting around to play and then feeling run down when the time finally arrives.  A good little e-project can be just the ticket for keeping the mind active and feeling good about the time slipping by.  Another good thing to do is practice, but it isn't always conducive when there are other band members hanging around, at least for me.  The gig went well.  I like the 5-piece gigs when I can sing some backups with Glen and Virginia, although I end up stepping on Glen's notes every so often.  It would be good to discuss or rehearse in this configuration at some point.  That's the way it goes.  We sounded good and the people danced and really had a good time.  It was a holiday party in January, so that is a nice way to break up the winter doldrums.

As I finished typing, I realized that this little gig might have been the last Platinum gig with Derek.  He is pursuing other musical ventures and the band is going to miss him greatly.  I have left the band and returned; perhaps the same will hold true for Derek.  He has been a highly musical force that has only helped to elevate our show.  His jazz, rock, and bluegrass chops are unparalleled.  I don't really know how his shoes will be filled.  Nobody has played Landslide, Don't Stop Believing, and Purple Rain as well as he can - come to think of it, those were his audition tunes all those years ago.  I admire how strong and fluid his bop vocabulary is.  We've torn through some killer renditions of perhaps my favorite jazz standard Stella By Starlight, as well as the Freddie Hubbard neo-standard Little Sunflower.  I also will always marvel at how quick he (and Glen for that matter) can pick up on a new tune.  I hope to play with Derek again (I did play with him at Pasti's shortly after this night, in the Third Party band).  As different as we may be, we are kindred spirits, going through some turbulent times in our lives as frustrated musicians with family responsibilities.  Good luck in your new directions D-Mac, and here's hoping we see you again real soon, hopefully on stage right between Gus and Anton at a venue near your home.  Fly on, little wing...





Derek McCoy

No comments:

Post a Comment