Saturday, February 8, 2014

Callanwolde Junction




I have to plan ahead to make sure I'm on the job with this supergroup of heavyweights!  It's impressive as they do it on their own terms.  When everybody is on the same page like these musicians are, it makes the whole process effortless.  Soundchecks are a simple run-through of the first dances for the reception.  The PA system is continuously getting upgraded, in this case, new powered mains and a new digital board.  Everybody gets a separate monitor mix.  They've recently acquired new LED lights.  The setlist is plucked from their extensive repertoire by the bridal party, as it should be.  This does indeed keep us on our toes.  I made certain to learn the Phish tunes requested: Down With Disease, Sample In A Jar, and Chalk Dust Torture.  We've played the first two listed, but CDT was new for me.  I learned the seemingly oblique (until one learns the pattern) form and the fast runs near the end (Audacity is my friend for transcribing - I use it for lowering the tempo and changing keys as well.  No musician should be without it!).  

We went over the new one as well as the Otis Redding classic That's How Strong My Love Is and John Lennon's Rubber Soul standout In My Life.  Between the keyboardist and myself, we had the harmonies sounding nice.  The rhythm uitarist Chris effortlessly nailed the vocals on these.  With his broad range and smooth tenor voice, he really made it look easy.  I've played Gimme Some Loving a bunch, but nobody ever wants to sing it in the original Spencer Davis Group (with young Stevie Winwood) key of G except for Chris.   That tells you something right there.  Speaking of young, the eternally youthful Mark is the drummer who ups the ante on the groove.  It's his fine new digital mixing board that helps to deliver the crystal clear audio.  It's also his drive for organization and communication that keeps this band climbing up the ladder of success.  Big Tyme, who deals with much of the behind-the-scenes responsibilities, brandishes the sweet liquid tone on his white Fender Stratocaster and Divided By 13 amplifier that is perhaps the signature sound of this band.  His chops allow us to really emulate and transcend the jam-band genre that perhaps separates this group from the plethora of so many other wanna-be's out there.  Word of mouth shall only continue to serve these performers well. 

My pontifications can be a bit self serving.  I just haven't played with these guys much lately.  We were back at the Callanwolde Fine Art Center once again.  It's a typically loud room, but we weren't too worried.  The volume seems to be kept in check.  We had a small amount of time to eat what they brought to us, change into our stage clothes, and write out some sets.  We did play an extended jazz set and I did indeed play my NS electric upright for it.  I think the last time I had used it was during that torrential rain storm at Java Monkey, so at least I know it still works after getting rather wet!  We did the usual stuff, with a great Moondance thrown in as we introduced some vocal tunes.  I also used my Fender Jazz and the Stingray 5 for the main sets.  I always feel it's good to have a passive bass in the mix, just in case.  The dances went well, as expected.  These people really got into it and had a great time dancing.  Odd that we didn't play any Phish tunes after all.  Better to be over prepared than under.  It was an early hit and an early end, so we were packed up and out of there by 11:30.  

Ceremony musician
Chris

Mark
Brian
Daniel



Pics of me courtesy of Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment