Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Egyptian Ballroom: The Hard Way

Note the marquee with the advert for Boortz' Happy Ending - famed talk show host from WSB AM 750 (and now 95.5 on the FM dial) is retiring.  Sad but true.  Talk radio is about to lose a major constituent here in Atlanta.  I waited for the blurbs to cycle around once again to capture Neil's upcoming goodbye show announcement.

It can happen to the most seasoned professional, one who has amassed a stellar history of legendary gigs with hundreds of noteworthy peers.  It can also happen to the likes of me.  I forgot a crucial piece of gear: my cart.  No wheels means that everything must be carried from the car to the stage and subsequently back to the car after the show.  As I typically do not travel light, this can be quite a burden.  The Fox freight elevator can make for a memorable process.  The wait for the freight!  The fine caterers, audio-visual (in this case lighting), furniture and props, etc. all add to the demand of this smallish lift.  Gus was there, not too far in advance, and he was still dealing with the continuing physical therapy of his knee.  He and I both chose to carry our gear up the stairs that led to the stage in the ballroom.  It actually worked out okay.  I got some exercise.  Had some troublesome chest pains as a result.  Got to keep the ticker working for a bit longer.  Fortunately, I brought the golight 115 and not the older Goliath 410 (85 lbs. or so).  Couldn't find my stand bag - had left it down on the dock!  Still there.  Parked at the Georgian Terrace, comped but still a bit of a hassle.

We set out to make the bride happy.  She wanted some particular hip-hop tunes.  Her number 1 choice: Kanye West ft. Jamie Foxx performing Gold Digger.  Such a fun tune!  Don't play it for your momma!  Also learned Flo Rida's Club Can't Handle Me, Big Boi's I Like The Way You Move, and David Guetta's I Can Only Imagine.  The night went by fast; only 2 sets to get through.  We had Margarita subbing for Dianna.  I thought she sounded great!  My poor little Ashbory needs to have that electronic upgrade performed.  It is just not cutting the mustard with the big guns.  Got to get that figured out.  I would be willing to pay for that procedure, or at least purchase the complete parts package through an Ashbory dealer.  I'd also want to make the LED a blue one, which has been discussed as well.  It would be a better toy after that.  Those white strings are great!  They actually stay in tune, and so far, knock on wood, they don't break!







Getting out after the gig?  Fugget about it!  Trey Songz was performing in the theater.  Nine trucks!  The dock was not going to be the exit.  Nine trucks!!!  Huge!  The concert let out and traffic was not going to cooperate.  Gus and I circled around the block until we came to our senses and double parked on Ponce.  Loaded out the front.  It was a 2 hour ordeal!  What?  I met up with Anton and Derek at Churchill Grounds for a Grey Goose martini (up with olives) and an ice water.  It was a necessity after going through a seemingly impossible mission.  What a way to end the night.  We played well, although I noticed my fingers were not responding the way they used to.  I need to practice more, or at least warm up on some of those Motown and Stax things: Ain't Too Proud To Beg and Soul Man come to mind.  Looking back, no major brown notes to be shameful of.  We got our accents and and kicks in all of the right places.  The bride had the time of her life, and the father of the bride gave me props as I summoned my waiting chariot before the bitter coda to the evening.

A bad picture mainly because it does not convey the volume of people, buses, trucks, and congestion I encountered in my attempt to rescue my waiting gear.

Martinis with Anton and Derek at Churchill Grounds.


No comments:

Post a Comment