Sunday, November 18, 2012

A Recording Session With An Old Sparring Partner

I almost forgot to jot this down: a session with Rin Vinson.  What can I say about Rin?  He has built his own home.  What's that you say?  Yes, he built his house, and oooh, it's nice!  He's good, real good!  He now has his own business.  Trucks.  There's money in trucks.  My wife doesn't want to hear about it.  I get it.  He's quite a remarkable engineer, audio wise.  A killin' drummer who knows the value of John Henry Bonham and a few others as well.  He's putting together a cd and wanted me on it.  God bless him.  Fortunately for him, he can punch me in and out and blend my tracks till I sound like Marcus Miller on the first take.  Well, maybe not quite.  He does know what he wants and he has a great personality to pull it out of me.  Very cool vibe.  It's hard to describe.  I really respect him and it felt like I had just seen him after all these years have gone by.  We tracked through Duke Ellington's Caravan.  I shall write more when I have a moment.  Such a cool track that we ended up with...

1 comment:

  1. BTW, Randy Chapman is on this track. Absolutely a "Amgwanna Kickboutie" performance - no holds barred, not that I hear too many barre chords from Chappy on this sickness! The organ track is kickin' as well - was it Rich, or someone else? Still marveling at the science of multi-tracking! Rin, you are an absolute one-of-a-kind! Great execution from behind-the-board!

    ReplyDelete