Monday, March 21, 2011

Platinum plays another wedding reception at the Ritz

Hey, as far as these kinds of gigs go, I like playing here.  We are usually taken care of as far as a hot meal goes.  This time we had leafy greens salad, grilled chicken, & yummy pasta with carmelized onions.  It was very good and I had thirds.  Also, it's not so far from home, so the commute isn't too terrible.  Plus, I usually park close to the dock so I don't have to deal with running several blocks to get my car at night.  I don't even mind having to take the freight elevator.  And another thing... I usually get a chance to make it over to the bar to catch part of Theresa Hightower's show with the Dan Lawrence Trio featuring Russ Rodgers and Sean O'Rourke.  I did make it there twice but the first time they were on a break and the 2nd time they were just wrapping up a set, so I heard about 2 minutes worth.  Can't they be on a different time frame than us?

We had an easy going night of waiting around and then taking many breaks.  We played several dinner set songs.  I'm glad we're keeping "The Nearness of You" and it did go better this time - I didn't go to the I chord too early this time.  We opened with "Breezin'", which we hadn't done much with Derek.  Then we played the opening minute of "Love's Divine", stopping just before the bass and drums come in.  Then we took a break.  See how that works?  The first dances went well and we got them on their feet with, surprise, "My Girl".  Another one called not on the list was "The Supremes Medley: I Hear a Symphony --> Come See About Me".  While I'm thinking about it, at the end of the night we played "Jenny Jenny" & then finished with "Shout" by Tears for Fears.  Wild surprise, since I'd never tried to play that one before.


She's going to kill me for putting this one on here.

Kevin lives the life and I don't mind hearing his stories.

Soundchecking on the beautiful white stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment