Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Changing my NS/Stick Strings

I've had this instrument for how long now?  Over a year now, and I still haven't changed the strings.  Decided it was time.  It's a big procedure, since it's 8 strings and being a Steinberger instrument, it is a little different than my other instruments.  A pack of strings isn't that bad, considering - around $35 plus shipping, only available from Stick Enterprises.  They are certainly custom strings and not just any ol' bass or guitar string can be substituted.  I recently ordered a second pack, so I do have backups after changing them.  I took them all off and polished the neck and body, nothin' fancy, bit it needed some tlc.  To put them on, the ball end goes into the bridge slot and then the string is fed up over the "headstock" through an opening where a hex screw is tightened to hold the string in place.  It must be pulled tight so that a minimal amount of tuning is required to get it up to pitch, thus leaving leeway to go up or down in pitch.  I need to have room to go down a 1/2 step for Running With Desire, who tunes down to properly cover Van Halen & U2.  I'm also spending this day working on my patches for my Boss pedalboards: the ME-50B for the bass side and the GT-8 for the guitar side.





Spencer & Praline helped me on this, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment