Sunday, August 8, 2010

A memorable wedding reception at the Four Seasons + Java Monkey last Thursday

Played with Platinum last night at the Four Seasons in Midtown.  We were there just recently so it felt very familiar.  The room looked great and our stage was all white so it felt elegant and upscale.  We had a different guitar player, Brian Bartlett, who did a great job playing acoustic, electric, and especially talk-box guitar for "Livin' On a Prayer", which really made the song feel accurate.  Big surprise would have to be the bride requesting the groom's guilty pleasure favorite song: "Baby Got Back"!  And we played it - yep!  THis after the couple's parents and grandparents complained of our loud dinner set volume and had us break for the next 90 minutes.  Thus we started again at 10 and gave a crowd pleasing 2 hour set.  My NS WAV was in fine form.  Not sure if everybody digs it or what they think, but it breaks up the night a bit for me to play some pseudo upright stuff for the slower numbers.  My J bass was very bright considering the strings are getting a bit worn form this humidity we've been sufferring through lately.  All in all, a few clams but nothing too terrible - got to make sure I know "Build Me Up Buttercup" without stepping on myself, that's for sure.  Thursday I had the pleasure of another Adrian Ash Group gig at Java Monkey.  We played mainly Guy's and Jason's originals and it went well.  I play my J with the Genz Benz combo and everybody seemed to like that a lot.  I guess the 15 has it's place, perhaps more for rock than jazz.  Guy and Jason had some bad luck and got their cars towed during the gig.  Not cool.  I hope they recovered them without too much money going to the city of Decatur.

No comments:

Post a Comment