Tuesday, August 24, 2010

It was a busy weekend

It started off Thursday over at Java Monkey in Decatur with the Adrian Ash Group.  We had a good night and played many originals from Guy & Jason.  I played my Tobias and it seemed to fit welll with the band sound.  The crowd was a bit thin but we played to some enthusiastic patrons.  Adrian asked me to bring in some originals so I'm starting to get them together.  Will try hard to make this happen while Binnie is out in Colorado. 
Friday I was with Sweetwater Junction in Norcross for a High School Reunion.  It was the class of 1970, and in retrospect we should have honored that time period a bit more.  It was a rainy night in Georgia so that made the night a bit dreary.  They fed us well with meat loaf, mac n cheese, and some fresh tossed salad with avacado.  We played well but it felt uninspired.  I sang Don't You Forget About Me and I thought it went well but it didn't go over well.
Saturday I joined up with Martay & the Partay at a Taste of Chamblee.  We played an hour-long set of rock, naturally.  We went on after a Dixieland band led by multi-instrumentalist/vocalist/studio owner Rick Hinkle: Whole Lotta Dixie which was a lot of fun to check out.  It was a very warm and sticky day out there in Chamblee.  I do have a photo to show us up there with Bill on vocals.
I should mention that Eric was our audio engineer and he did a great job, as always.  What a hot day indeed!
Once we we done, I loaded up and made my way back to the Atlanta Athletic Club where I had set up earlier for a Platinum wedding reception.  We were here recently and it was a similiar arrangement.  I didn't need my big amp setup so the Genz Benz combo was enough to rumble this enclosed stage area.  I sang "In My Life" for the Mother/Son dance.  Everything went well - no fatal flaws.  I felt that the band was a little busy in some ways - hard to pinpoint what is going on with this band sometimes.  Derek McCoy performed on guitar with us did a great job.  He seemed to be a good fit and has some impressive technique - nailing the fierce intro to "Don't Stop Believin'" and a spirited fusion take on "Mr. Magic."  All in all, we had a great time and the wedding party really enjoyed themselves.  Oh yeah, I enjoyed listening to Glen Perdew's walk-on music of "Say a Little Prayer".  I need to learn that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment