Wednesday, July 30, 2014

A Night at the History Center

Virginia Rece sings Make You Feel My Love
Another tried and true wedding reception.  This time with a special jazz trio performance down in the backyard of the facilities.  Funny that it was actually 30 minutes of piano, then 30 minutes of a trio, adding saxophone and bass.  Why save that little bit of money?  Awkward to come into the set halfway through, isn't it?  Well, Glen made it easy.  As easy as he could.  We ran through Because You Loved Me and then one more before rain drops appeared.  So we went back to the ballroom and played a bit more up there.  We actually played So What.  I remember Glen likes to call that, and he corrected me once to not play the "response" of the chords, just the "call" of the lead bass line.  Paul Chambers played the line primarily on the G string, sliding between the high D and the E notes.  To my ear, it just never works as well as playing it on the D and G strings, without the slide.  Well, he was Mr. P.C., so that might have something to do with it.

We had 2 subs this evening: Tim Crump for Anton and Anthony Baker for Gus.  It's been a long time since Gus subbed out.  Well, Anthony sounded great.  He and I go way back, so we talked about the good ol' days and folks we hadn't seen in a long time.  He asked me about the songs, and I did my best to help him with tempos and endings.  Tim sounded fine, although he was underused.  Without a 2nd keyboard, that position is a strange one.  Anton has got it figured out.

The big tune to learn for this one was Wagon Wheel as performed by Darius Rucker.  It seems that they would have liked the original version too.  It was the final song of the night.  Everybody in the room sang along.  For my part, I played my NS WAV on it, still standing around from being used in the first set.  It is the kind of song that sticks in your mind no matter what.  We also played Say, which explains my guitar.  I had a broken pick which messed with my mind and picking.

We ate in our usual green room down in the schoolhouse.  It goes down in the history of the band as one of the worst meals ever served to non-inmates.  The jury is still out on what type of shoe leather was on the plate.  I ate it anyways!  The gang went over to Whole Foods across the street.  I'm not proud.  Actually, the cauliflower was decent enough.  Looking back, I don't know how I made it.

Anthony Baker

Dianna Crawford sings The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face


Tim Crump and Benjamin Forehand




No comments:

Post a Comment