Sunday, May 18, 2014

Platinum in the The Tent at Ritz Carlton Reynolds Plantation: The Night Two Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

There's a bird in here!
Awesome serendipity happens every so often.  I pull into the front area of the Ritz Carlton, asking how to get to the big tent.  I figured it was around back, but I wasn't sure how to get there and I didn't know the code to the gate anyways.  Well, I got directions and then see another employee near the gate.  He recognizes me from the night before, when I was with Last Call at Coldbrews in Roswell.  Isn't that amazing?  Come on!  I thought it was, I mean, what are the chances?

Always great to have Tony Hightower on the front line.  Nobody can sing a jazz standard like Fly Me To The Moon like Tony.  He tears it up and then takes a scat solo after the horn.  I look forward to it every time I see his name on the itinerary.  This was a great evening with the dinner set that allowed us to stretch out on the mellow stuff for the dinner portion.  I like that as it gives us ample time to warm up with some non-traditional choices.  If we leave the jazz out, it just doesn't feel the same.

When a bird gets in a tent, it's tough to get it out.  I learned that this evening.  I also learned that anything can happen on a gig.  Our guitarist decided he had had enough and packed it all up as we were about to begin the 2nd (and last) set.  Yep, he packed his gear up in front of us and the unsuspecting crowd and wheeled it out of the tent and out to his car.  I kid you not.  I've never seen anything like that before.  What a long drive that must have been for him.  We were at Lake Oconee.  We did the set without guitar, but guess what?  Nobody ever noticed!  That's the advantage of situations like this.  Folks aren't necessarily quite as critical, I guess.  Does he know I write a blog and have to mention this?  I mean, I gotta!  We're we picking on him because he didn't learn the songs?  If you're a guitarist that takes a gig, what are you going to do if you don't know the songs?  Fake it?  How much can you get away with?  Learn them all at the soundcheck?  Our soundchecks are long, but they're not that long!  Well, I'm not going to mention him by name on this entry, but you can figure it out.  I only regret not getting some pics of him leaving.  I think I was dumbstruck.  Oh well.  Life goes on.  Now perhaps the blog title makes more sense!
Checking the sound and rehearsing Take Me Home Tonight
Cake view
Tony Hightower
Glen Perdew
Gus Melton
Big Bad John

No comments:

Post a Comment