Saturday, December 14, 2013

Sunday Subbing at Lutheran Church of the Resurrection

Through a friend of a friend, I am blessed to play bass at morning services here every once in a while.  The Lutheran Church of the Resurrection on Paper Mill Road in Marietta welcomes people from all backgrounds to worship.  The Sunday band is led by Helen Weiss Phelps.  Helen is brilliant on the organ and all keyboards.  She always greets me with a big smile and makes me feel like I haven't missed a week.  She is very detail oriented and provides the sheet music so that I can simply come in and read it down.  The charts are very clear, as opposed to some that I have had trouble with in the past.  A close comrade on the drums is Ron Russell, who plays regularly with Atlanta's own Men In Blues.  Ron is very solid and supportive of me.  Great to have an allie when I'm the odd man out.  He was up early after a late night gigging in Birmingham, AL - he knows I know the feeling!

There's always one tune that needs a bit more attention than the others.  I spend a few minutes going through the road map of 1st and 2nd endings, crossed-out measures, D.S. al coda, and the obligatory key change.  When a chart is over 5 pages, that's when I need to know which pages are read only once and which do I need to see again.  We play 2 services with rehearsals prior to the first one.  The band and choir are great.  I encourage you to check them out during the Praise Services, Sunday mornings at 9:45 and 11:15.






No comments:

Post a Comment