Saturday, February 16, 2013

Valentine's Day and Padriac's: A Double Dose of The Martay


Played a heart-warming gig at Chambrel assisted living.  This was a special Valentine's Day concert, but I suppose it was a Mardi Gras celebration as well.  I should know, as I took home the leftover King Cake!  The folks really wanted slow dances - imagine that!  It's not easy to follow Marty lately.  He jumps from one song to the next, plays the low notes on his guitar as if there wasn't any bass, and keeps me guessing on some of these tunes.  We're talking oldies!  This time, I had some charts prepared.  I worked on Blue Hawaii, I Don't Know Why (I Just Do), Spanish Eyes, and Let Me Call You Sweetheart.  A good amount of Elvis, if the truth was told.  Reece kept the groove nice and relaxed.

Friday we were back at Padriac's for another season (chapter?) of rock and beyond.  Thanks to Brent's prompting, we issued 2 complete sets of dance favorites and some nutty requests.  Highlights: Billie Jean, Ain't No Sunshine (with Cliff on lead vocals), and of course, our closing ditty, Ratt's Round and Round.  The volume was kept in check, even with Martay running his mic'ed amp through pa.  I had just read Bryan Beller's posting about his Gallien-Kreuger endorsement - here is the article in all it's glory.  He recommended the bass boost switch, so I went with it.  Sounded good so I left it in.  Not sure if I will always go with that setting; more lows means fewer mids and highs.  I think that's how it works.






No comments:

Post a Comment