Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Finyl Four Weekend: At Least Some of My Family Made It Downtown - I Went To Nashville


It's been a long, quiet winter around here for me.  I've played a little here and there, but Platinum has suffered like many other society bands.  The corporate shows have really thinned out.  After a few rehearsals, and fairly weak ones at that, we ventured up to Tennessee for a wedding reception.  We had good weather on our side, although perhaps 5 degrees cooler than we would like, as the reception was outside.  Glen rode up with me.  I tried to make it a foursome - the more, the merrier, and - ta da, the less we all pay for gas.  Well, Glen needed to be back for his Church service at 11:00 am - meaning we'd have to leave early.  It's a 4 hour trip, or it's supposed to be.  Going up, we hit the usual traffic slowdown around Chastian Road, just north of Barrett Parkway on I-75.  Then past Cartersville and Red Top Mountain, things got real ugly.  It was slow for miles and miles.  Eventually, we pulled off for a Subway and bent the ear of our sandwich artist.  He hipped us to a better side streets route than Google Maps did, namely 41 - that 41 goes everywhere 75 does, so it seems.  It worked out.  We were running late at this point.  Then we checked our phones and saw that, lo and behold, we were on Central time - the clocks had moved back an hour.  We weren't late after all - the stress factor plummeted!  I secretly thought to myself: good news, and bad news; tomorrow morning is coming an hour earlier now...


The stage on the back lawn of Cheeckwood Mansion (at Cheeckwood Art & Gardens) was open air: no tent.  It's been a while since I've played on a stage that has no roof or back.  The sound is quite dead.  In a very good way, it makes one play honestly.  There is no reverberation, no coloration, and no ringing ears!  I could hear everything well; it just sounded different.  We were the full 8-piece band, with Marguerita in for Dianna (Platinum Soul enjoyed an in town event at Atlanta Athletic Club), plus Junius.  The stage crew set up some lekos on some slimline truss with a nice white truss-sock all around the front of the stage.  Junius had his LED lights as well.  We went over a bunch of stuff at soundcheck: "new" hip-hop medley This Is How We Do It --> The Humpty Dance --> Rump Shaker (single remix);  "new" Hammertime medley Superfreak --> U Can't Touch This;  "new" raggae-fied medley of 867-5309 (Jenny)(Stewart Copeland re-groove) --> Message In a Bottle --> Locked Out of Heaven (choreography version);  When a Man Loves a Woman;  Pour Some Sugar On Me;  Because You Loved Me (Male Vocal Version in Bb, down from Db, yes, I made & utilized a chart)...  I was supposed to sing Gimme Some Loving, but I guess we all decided that the night would be alright if it didn't happen.




The gig was a good one.  We opened with some ice-breaking jazz-pop: Mr. Magic and then Mercy, Mercy, Mercy.  The first set continued on after the dances, fine early fare that we all know: The Way You Look Tonight;  Georgia On My Mind.  The crowd danced and really got into it by the 2nd and 3rd sets.  We gave them what they wanted.  The break music was country.  In fact, it was almost the playlist from another band I run around with: Dixieland Delight;  Wagon Wheels;  Family Tradition.  Those guys are right on the money - that stuff should be at the top of their songlist.  Why those country-fried tunes didn't make the demo is a crying shame; they'd be playing every weekend... but, they don't do much hip-hop ("a good ol' bunch of white boyz" was how we were described at the agency on the day of the "showcase").



I ventured to the front of the stage and heard my bass.  It sounds so different from where I stand near the amp.  Duh!  We all know that, but, boy, I hadn't heard it.  From now on, I have to make a point to soundcheck while I'm out front.  Too many highs and upper mids.  It was gnarly.  I think I will roll down the presence on the SansAmp to start with.  I don't want anybody to lose their fillings!

Hadn't spoken with Derek much lately.  We just don't cross paths.  He has an iPhone now, and has really taken an interest in photography.  He posts on Instagram.  Taught me some cool concepts, namely the Rule of Thirds, where the screen is divided into 9 sections and the subjects are to be aligned to the intersecting "dividing lines" rather than simply centered.  Most phone cameras allow for that grid to be visible.  I set mine up and am attempting to capture some more interesting shots.  We'll see how it progresses.  Thank you Derek for the lesson - you pics looked really nice.

We made it over to the hotel by the airport and slept.  Bleak.  Up early - Glen had to wake me.  Drove to a Starbucks that I remembered passing on the way in.  Got my shot in the dark, which got us home safely.  Made good use of the day by taking Spencer to Stone Mountain Park; we worked on our golf game and rode the ducks.  Ah, the good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment