Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Hudson Grille with MartaY: A Chance to Bask in John "Mighty" McKnight's Deep Pocket

MartaY & The PartaY at Hudson Grille on Peachtree
Last Friday I returned to the scene where my car was towed last year.  Good times, right?  Now I certainly know where to not park, at least.  This time, cutting it close as I dined with the family before they all went to Temple, I lucked out and found a spot in the lot behind the big complex of Brookhaven hot spots.  The PartaY was playing for a birthday party - what a perfect location with perfect weather!  Killer patio setting on a spring Friday night.  Joining the MartaY and myself were John "Mighty" McKnight on drums and vocals and Sheri Hofherr on vocals.  John is a consummate musician and singer.  He was very solid and generated a lot of energy from his side of the stage.  I was on the opposite side of this admittingly small stage, but our line of sight was rather challenged with a support beam, the backline "riser", and the heads of our ensemble.  I could hear him, just couldn't see him.  It worked out okay.  Sheri sounded really good as well.  She sang a song (that I didn';t know but the whole sure did) by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals - brought the house down!  It was certainly the most well-received hit of the evening.  Mighty sang One Way Out and most definitely laid claim as one of the greatest blues vocalists in Atlanta.  It's no wonder that he is always working.  I just don't know how he was even available for this night with us.

My cabinet was elevated with some well placed chairs and the said riser.  That always helps me in terms of hearing what I want to hear.  Many times the bass is just too loud for it's own good.  I'd rather hear it well, as long as I have to watch the volume anyways.  We ended up going on late, more like 9:30 as opposed to 9, or even 8 as was mentioned before.  That suited me fine.  As a result, we opted for a very long set.  I think it was 2 1/2 hours, or 180 minutes, but who's counting?  It went by fast, but at the end I was ready to pack it up and head home.  The next morning was T-ball with Spencer and then a trip to Carrollton for the evening.  Always great to rock with MartaY!










No comments:

Post a Comment