Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Sweetwater Junction at Bryson Hall in downtown Savannah



My weekend was nonstop. After my gig with Gwen which took me up 85 into South Carolina, I was back at it the next morning & heading the opposite direction down to Savannah. Before I got on the Coach Tour Bus (actually it was the middle back seat of Brian's Saab SUV), I had to join the family for Jack's Kaikudo Family Day festivities. By the way, Jack's picture is on their website here. Jack addressed the group of students & parents with a short Japanese announcement (also translated into English). I wasn't able to stay for long, but luckily Sabina videoed it & I watched it later.

I left with Spencer in his Bubbie's care & made my way down to City Storage to meet up with Brian, Mark, Chris, & Dan - same lineup as the last time I went out with SWJ. We stopped for lunch at a Wendy's & ate in the car as we continued our journey. A while later, Brian was ready to eat so we stopped at Zaxby's. You know, I really hate for anybody to eat alone, so I had to pick up a 5-finger snack just to keep peace in the family. Before we knew it, we were milling about in Savannah. A beautiful warm & muggy day down there. I watched the horse drawn buggies circle around the park as we unloaded the trailer. The reception site was a tall room with a lot of tiled flooring & windows. This meant a loud room with extra boominess. My bass was super loud. Hey, this was the first gig using my Hartke head after the umpteenth repair (this time the input jacks were replaced at no charge - thanks James at Northwest Speakers & Equipment!) & no noise! I think we're finally back to beautiful bass tone! Yay! I love having all of that head room. Too bad I didn't need much volume at this gig. We were served hors d'oeuvres of bread with pate & shrimp cocktail - how can we resist? Speaking of food, it was good & I loaded up for dinner after all the guests had been through the buffet. Chris noted with a wry comment that I know how to make good use of free food. Well, we need our strength on these trips. They had yummy shrimp 'n grits, mashed potatoes, roast beef, grilled vegetable madness, salad, & sweet tea.









We played some great jams - Loving Cup, Shakedown Street, Eyes of the World, I Shot the Sheriff, they wanted a lot of hippie trippy stuff. Chris does a great job fronting us & it's good to know he's there to handle all those vocals. Dan sounded great on his keys, in spite of some issue he had with volume. Mark was really on top of the tempos & I especially liked his breaks that left no doubt where the 1 was in I Shot the Sheriff. Brian just needs a nod & he's off on another journey through upper partials. I sang Miss You, by request from Mark, & it was all the better with some blues harp from Chris just like on Some Girls. We had a good time & really enjoyed playing for the dancing partying crowd. Mark videotaped the evening & it came out well. We listened to it on the drive back - good job Mark (& Chris), especially having a charged battery for the car.





Once we were finished, it was a quick pack so that we could get back home at the earliest poosible time.  Unfortunately, in my haste, & even though I brought my typical garment bag & did a "dummy check", I think I left my jacket & shirt in the green room.  Ugh.  Now I have to shell out some $$ for a new one.  Maybe I can make it over to Goodwill today & see if there are any in my size.

No comments:

Post a Comment