Sunday, May 15, 2011

Java Monkey 5/12

Another night in beautiful Decatur for original jazz tunes & standards with Adrian, Jason, & Guy.  I had an idea for a tune that I had been working on.  While Spencer was asleep in Scottish Rite during the 2nd night of his EEG I managed to put some melodies together & form the tune "Doodle Bug Goes To Town."  Hours before I left for the gig I found my Finale software disc & reinstalled it on my poor old PC.  Then I went about entering the notes & chords.  Tough meticulous work!  I have the latest & greatest version 10 & it really does do anything you want it to.  It's just not easy...  We actually played through it & the boys seemed to really like it!  I hear it as a New Jack Swing kind of Spyro Gyra funky jazz flavors groove, which is more elusive than I had realized.  I will try to get it nailed down this week.  I was informed that due to my weekend schedules, my services will notg be required for the impending studio sessions.  I may be participating in some later recordings of Adrian's & my tunes.  It would be nice to have a document of this band, since we've been a steady group for over a year now.  Maybe I could pay a little extra & lay my bass alongside the other tracks for my own private mix!  Anything's possible.  We played really well together this night.  Maybe I felt better since we didn't do any rhythm changes!  We tended to stick to a fair amount of originals: Fonkatello, Gentle Breeze.  As for standards, we did Listen Here, which we've played a lot of the course of our time together.  I like the bass vamp, whcih kind of reminds me of Cold Duck Time, another funk-jazz standard we've kept in our book.  One of the best things we added this time was Little Wing with a segue into Voodoo Chile - well done on Guy's part!  I was surprised how well it worked, and without warning.  An old friend and student of Guy's Bill Panter, joined us for a bluesy workout.  He had an amp with him, wiah I'd taken a picture of it, that had his name on it.  It looked like a Classic 30, but he made it!  That's right, he built the whole thing!  It sounded nice too.









No comments:

Post a Comment