Sunday, August 17, 2014

A Sultry Evening at Primrose Cottage


Lately, I've been adding these blog postings whenever I get the chance.  usually I'm just so worn out that I don't have the motivation to report very much.  I hope that you hang in there with me, as I will try to up the ante with some better postings.  Unfortunately, this won't be one of them.  On this evening, the 2nd of August, we were a 6-piece with Dianna holding down the front line duties.  When that happens, Glen moves up to the front with his keyboard.  To balance it out and because of the tight space, we had Anton perform up front as well.  That left Ben, Gus and myself in the back.  I knew of the aforementioned space issues so I try to travel light.  You know me, and perhaps you are aware of the trouble I incur when I bring only 1 instrument to the party.  I gotta bring a backup.  This time out, I brought the Johnson acoustic/electric bass guitar.  Being fretless, it gives a nice upright vibe with plenty of mwah and a woody tone with a bright attack.  It's fairly flexible and almost too bright.  The 3-band eq helps.  I have to bring the volume down from 10 to say, 8, as it almost overdrives the input of an amp and distorts.  I installed a soundhole cover which helps greatly to reduce booming feedback.  Planet Waves makes them, as do a few other companies.  Indispensable and it was under $10.  Very rare that something relatively cheap can actually work so well and do what what it claims to do.  So I played that on the first set and my P-bass on the later sets.  My P-bass still had the foam insert from the Bumpin' The Mango gig where I had to play a bunch of Tower of Power and other challenging funk tunes.  That foam is like the classic felt mutes found on vintage Fender basses from the '60's.  It sure takes away sustain, but is effective at adding separation to a rapid series of 16th notes.  I really like it.





This night we had a fairly lame dinner consisting of chicken sliders and some kind of salad.  Not much at all.  Some of the fellas went out for a bite but they were gone almost too long.  I'm glad I didn't go.  I was broke anyways.  I don't need that kind of stress, and plus, I'm getting slow when it comes to changing into my suit.  I think about the recent Louis C.K. standup show on HBO when he talks about tying his shoes and how much effort it takes him.  Or when he's sitting and has to get up for something - too funny!  So everything went well once we got started.  This was one of those parties where the Mother of the Bride tried to show up her own daughter with some kind of feather boa accessory.  I was seriously tempted to lift a slice of peppered roast beef off of the platter while we were standing around watching the couple cut the cake.  I weighed the savory benefits against the shame and certainty of getting caught and kept my grubby fingers to myself.


Earlier in the day, I saw Charles Mishalany post about his gig in Roswell.  Found out he was just a block or 2 up the street from us, playing in tent at the Gardens At Great Oaks.  I sauntered by to a place we have played at before to catch them in the act of a super low-volume rehearsal/soundcheck.  They were playing I Wanna Dance With Somebody.  His bass sounded super sweet.  I am missing something in the tone department when I hear a bass and rig like his.  Dude!  Took some quick pics and got lost - I was clearly not invited to this party!  Charley thanked me for coming by - I had to after our exchanges earlier.



No comments:

Post a Comment