Sunday, August 18, 2013

I Sang at The Fox

Had to load my gear into my rental car, a Chevy Cruze.  Nice little 4-cylinder with some decent trunk space for it's modest size.  I had a rental due to the fact that my beloved Explorer was totaled in a senseless wreck less than a mile from my home.  Wasn't my fault but it sure does take its toll.  I tell myself every day that I'm just glad that Spencer, who had just been picked up from camp and was in his car seat, wasn't injured.  It did make for a month of car shopping and ride bumming, as I didn't have the rental the entire time I was without my own ride.  Well, got it all in the Cruze and fought the traffic.  Traffic has gotten rather poor around here lately.  Repaving 285, the connector, anywhere I'm going at any rate.  We all were a bit late for the soundcheck.  With this being the first job without Kevin and Tony Hightower filling in, that wasn't optimum.

As I was walking back in with my 2nd load, which was only my NS WAV bass, I saw my neighbor Tom Ryan; he was in the wedding and headed to the reception.  I would be singing lead for the father/daughter dance to his good friend: CSNY's Teach Your Children.  I had played and sang it with Sweetwater Junction last year; the consummate professional Andrew Black took the lead and I did the harmony.  This time, I had the lead and Virginia was on the harmony.  The lead is rather low in pitch, so it is relatively easy to hit.  Funny for me to be front and center "leading" the band on one of the focal points of the night.  Never let 'em see you sweat.  It went well, although in retrospect we should address the harmony notes so that everybody is on the same page.  'Nuff said.  Once we got going for real, it became a marathon dance set.  Once again, Gold Digger with our Thrift Shop tag was the highlight.  That was due to the groom delivering the raps, with his bride and the bridesmaids all up on stage with us.  You can't plan stuff like that.  It was a fine performance and the meals at the Fox have really improved - love Affairs to Remember.  Good people and great food.  After the gig, we enjoyed a cocktail next door at Churchill Grounds.  Had to decline Anton's offer for late-night Chinese food chow-down; life getting in the way of the good times.

View from the side of the stage during Make You Feel My Love.
Gold Digger with crowd participation.

Signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment