Wednesday, March 20, 2013

St. Patrick's Day at Meehan's Public House in Sandy Springs: Where The Mean Streets Have No Name (U2 vs. Van Halen)


Here we were again, this time honoring the "holiday" on the actual date, March 17.  Sunday, and another warm sunny day.  Also of note was that the gig was close to home, for me, in Sandy Springs at Meehan's Public House.  We had a great time slot, from 5 pm till 7:30 or so.  It allowed us to play our U2 set, break for the costume change, and then play the Van Halen set.  Just like we did the day before.  Sabina brought the boys and hung for the U2.  My Last Call band mates David, Ira, and Karl showed up and were most congenial; you guys made me proud to know you!  They met Sabina so two worlds came together for a short while.  All in all, we were tighter and stronger once again.  Shane played the first set on drums and obliged with letting Sam handle the second set.  Cool to play with both of them.  We still all made some bad blunders, no surprise.  My train wreck of note was trying to cop the syncopated hits in the solo on Unchained.  Man, I nailed it years ago when we played at Wild Wing with Mark on drums.  I guess I lost that magic, but it will come back.  Sam was nice to suggest that we simply need a rehearsal to go over these trouble spots and make it fool proof.  Rehearsals lately have been just a run-through of the sets.  That's not enough to make it tight.














Closing out the night was the very fun cover band My Favorite Baldwin. 
The front man is someone I look up to, as he stands at 6' 6" tall.
I was captivated by perhaps the most well realized version of Snoop's Gin and Juice I have ever heard.
Now, where's my endo (Indo')?


No comments:

Post a Comment