Sunday, December 2, 2012

Little Pink Houses For You and Me


Saturday I had the blessed karma to fill in with Mark Letalien's Square One.  Mark took care of all of the logistics: van and trailer rental, meeting time and place, accommodations, dinner, first dance and set list, clothing, you name it.  He really had all of the bases covered.  Blessed to have someone who really looks out for us.  It makes for a carefree travel day. Along with Mark, I was joined by Chris Garner, Brian Molin, and Dan Barker.  Jeff Dittrich is invariably the bassist.  He chose to stay in town.

This date was in Savannah at an event facility called The Olde Pink House.  We were stationed in Reynolds Square, one of the many squares or wards that make up the layout of downtown Savannah.  The Olde Pink House is next door to it's hotel property, Planters Inn, where we spent the night.  We were reserved 4 rooms, not too shabby, although we are a 5-piece band.  I offered to share a room, and Dan obliged.  The load in was not easy, with cobblestone sidewalks and al fresco diners, then a slow elevator.  The room served double duty with the ceremony and reception in the same room.  Nice but a bit stressful.  Hard to make it happen in the time allotted.  My tardiness in the morning didn't help.  I brought my guitar pedalboard and finally had my dual setup for the NS/Stick.  Great to have separate control over the guitar half of the 8-string.  The first dance of The Script's I'm Yours was rehearsed a few times and by the time of the performance, I had a nice right-handed arpeggio worked out.

Low to high:

Bb chord: f c d, then
C chord: g d e, then the
F chord: a c g

all add 9 chords.

During the verses, I followed the voicings heard on the recording, where the bass note as played on the guitar would be the third, walking up to the tonic on the I chord:

| Bb/D                 | C/E                           | F                             | F                            |

Dan noted the #11 over the Bb.  He played some nice organ pads that would have been enough if I didn't have the NS/Stick Guitar-Bass instrument noodlings.  The bass tone on the NS still needs a bit more meat, perhaps low-mids need to be addressed.  I switched to the Stingray for the lengthy funk, rock, and country we settled into.  The old school country always seems to work, particularly Family Tradition.  Then again, we were in the deep South.  Chris did a great job on Don't Stop Believin', even in the original key.  Packing up took too long when I bring this many toys.  As an aside, I left my jacket in the rental van.  The folks at Triangle Rentals were nice to hold it for me.  Always climb back in and look everywhere for those sure-to-be missed items - you're welcome!

My room I shared with Dan - quaint.
We got ice from room service and relaxed, watching the Georgia/Alabama game until it was time to eat.
We learned during the reception that the Dawgs didn't prevail.

Dan's mobile tunes.


Mark arranged for a great hot meal.  We enjoyed the great weather and dined in the open air tavern.
Dan "Emerson" Barker





We stuck to Mark's set lists, but there were a few audibles, as the crowd was beginning to change on us.




Acting the fool in the park outside the venue and hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment